Which Husqvarna chainsaw to buy?
Are you chopping firewood for your log burner, pruning trees or cleaning up after a storm? We’ve written a blog to try and help you decide which Husqvarna chainsaw to buy.
Select the right chainsaw size
Size is the first factor to consider when selecting a chainsaw. Generally speaking, larger chainsaws are more powerful than smaller chainsaws – therefore, they’ll be used for larger cutting tasks. Chainsaw power is measured by piston displacement (cc) and engine power (horsepower, or HP).
Consider the following factors when making your choice:
- Your personal experience. If you’re new to chainsaw work, choose a smaller saw that’s easy to handle and maneuver. A heavier chainsaw will tire out your arms and hands, risking your safety and slowing down productivity.
- The size and type of the wood to be cut. If you’re felling trees or cutting into hardwood, choose a larger chainsaw with more power. Using a model that’s too small will lead to unnecessary physical exertion, and it may damage the product.
Determine the best guide bar length
The appropriate length of the guide bar is determined by tree size and to some extent by the level of your expertise. If you’re used to handling a chainsaw, you should have access to at least two different guide bar lengths, allowing you to vary the guide bar length with different tree sizes. A shorter guide bar weighs less and is easier to maneuver when removing tree limbs. A longer guide bar is used for felling larger trees.
Choose the right chainsaw type
Husqvarna offers four main types of chainsaw, each designed with a particular user in mind:
- Homeowner/consumer chainsaws are compact, easy-to-use and designed for occasional residential use. We recommend the Husqvarna 120 or the Husqvarna 135 chainsaws.
- Landowner/semi-professional chainsaws are built for performance and durability. Preferred by ranchers, these saws are designed for occasional use in clean-up and firewood cutting. Great example of these include the Husqvarna 435 or the Husqvarna 455 Rancher.
- Logger/professional chainsaws provide maximum performance and optimal ergonomics to foresters, loggers and arborists. These models are designed for professional full-time use. Certain models are available with special features, such as heated handles or AutoTune. Take a look at the Husqvarna 550XP and the Husqvarna 560XP chainsaws.
- Arborist/tree care chainsaws are designed specifically for professional arborists in tree care work.